Nucleus Commercial Finance was founded to provide UK SMEs with alternative funding options. No bureaucracy, no rigidity: we support growing companies with the finance they need to flourish. We combine the stability of bank finance with the flexibility and speed of fintech platforms. We’re completely transparent, won’t mask hidden costs with low-interest rates, and we aren’t going to penalise the businesses we support with unforeseen charges. A fixed upfront fee, fixed monthly payments – that’s it.
We are looking for a dynamic, forward-thinking individual to join a dedicated team of hard workers with easy going personalities, to reach common goals of excellence and achievement.
Reporting to: Risk Director
Main duties and responsibilities are (but not limited to):
- Review merchant card processing applications for completeness. Review daily onboarding files and request supporting documentation to ensure acceptability with Nucleus’s policy & guidelines. Track and follow up on missing or incomplete items with clients.
- Understand how third-party business models work for underwriting activities. Participate in credit report review, financial statement analyses and due diligence checks on clients.
- Research and collate appropriate information to make a credit decision and keep appropriate records relating to information received and decisions made.
- Communicate with merchants and third parties to obtain information and a clear understanding of merchants’ business operations.
- Liaise with internal and external personnel to gain extra/appropriate information or to discuss applications where necessary. Provide regular information on application statuses and workload.
- Assess risk exposures and make informed decisions on the acceptability of companies. Provide recommendations to mitigate unacceptable risk exposure for new and ongoing relationships.
- Understand, calculate, interpret and apply basic financial and business ratios to the evaluation of credit risk.
- Handle escalations in a timely and professional manner. May leverage AVPs of VP of Credit Risk as needed to determine the creditworthiness and acceptability of third-party relationships.
- Document all findings and conclusions in accordance with all applicable banking and compliance standards and procedures. Ensure documentation is accurate, clear, and complete.
- Maintain up-to-date records, files, and timetables for future actions as required.
- Conduct all underwriting and review activities in accordance with the company’s policies, and operating procedures.
- Maintain awareness of updates to rules and regulations applying to Visa/MasterCard accounts and banking regulations to ensure compliance.
- Develop close working relationships third-party partners, underwriters, and internal business leaders to communicate and resolve issues as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- At least 1-3 years’ experience in a risk environment underwriting Merchant Card processing & strong decision-making ability
- Understanding of financial statements and principles of lending
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication, negotiation & conflict resolution skills
- Self-motivated with excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work within structured processes managing tasks efficiently and effectively
- Adaptable, self-motivated team player
- High attention to detail
- Be proactive and acts on own initiative and have good problem-solving skills
- Excel (min of intermediate preferred)
- Word (min of intermediate preferred)
- Experience of using CRM systems